Cherokee County School District students earned Regional and State honors through the annual Georgia Student Technology Competition!
The statewide competition offers students in Grades 3-12 the opportunity to showcase their skills through 16 categories and vie for honors at Regional and State fairs.
Eighty-six CCSD students put their technology skills to the test at the Piedmont Regional Technology Competition. The Regional event was organized and led by Dr. Shannon Carroll, CCSD supervisor of instructional technology, and Jeff Pence, CCSD instructional technology specialist.
Thirty-six CCSD students won first place in their respective categories at the Regional contest, earning the opportunity to advance to the State competition that was held virtually in May, with entries from 870 students statewide.
Six CCSD students placed first, second or third at the statewide event: first place, Marissa Migneco, Graphic Design, Etowah HS, Grade 9; second place, Micah Kampman, Audio Production, Johnston ES, Grade 4; Ryan Wexler, Project Programming, Indian Knoll ES, Grade 4; and Sequoyah HS Class of 2021 graduate Daniel McCrobie, 3D Modeling; third place; Cherokee HS Class of 2021 graduate Isabella Ayala, Internet Applications; and Paxton Miller, Multimedia Applications, Indian Knoll ES, Grade 5.
“STEM learning is critically important to many career choices for our future graduates, and we’re proud of our students’ successes at the Regional and State Technology Competitions. Congratulations!” Superintendent of Schools Dr. Brian V. Hightower said. “We also commend their teachers, who we know put it extra time to mentor students on these projects, and to Shannon and Jeff for all of their work to coordinate the Regional event.”
CCSD’s Region first-place winners are:
- Arnold Mill ES: Mason Harris, 3D Modeling
- Avery ES: Jaxson Pollard, Graphic Design; Kaitlyn Massey, Multimedia Applications; Dakota Calhoun, Graphic Design; Cameron Hale, Video Production
- Cherokee HS: Isabella Ayala, Internet Applications
- Clark Creek ES STEM Academy: Arcadian Freund, Game Design
- Creekland MS: Jason Schmidt and Luke Dooley, Device Modification; Bradlee Rodriguez, Digital Photo Production; Samuel Mattick and Caleb Mattick, Game Design; Chase Atkins and Nate Hancock, Robotics
- Etowah HS: Nicholas Knerr, Game Design; Marissa Migneco, Graphic Design
- Hickory Flat ES: Taylor Throne, Video Production
- Indian Knoll ES: Parker O'Neill, Digital Photo Production; Adalynn Wells, Productivity Design; Ryan Wexler, Project Programming; Paxton Miller, Multimedia Applications
- Johnston ES: Micah Kampman, Audio Production; Carlianne Timbol and Lola Brown, 3D Modeling
- Liberty ES: Logan Kettle and Joshua McGraw, Game Design; Mical Mershon, Animation
- Oak Grove ES Fine Arts Academy: Morgan Bailey, Animation; Jaxson Young and Julia Creamer, Robotics; Joseph Watson, Robotics
- Sequoyah HS: Daniel McCrobie, 3D Modeling; Brett Lougheed, Project Programming
- Sixes ES: Ethan Patti, Device Modification
- Woodstock MS: David Holbrook, Mobile Apps; Yusra Kamal, Project Programming