Purpose of the School Council
With O.C.G.A. § 20-2-85/86 (2010), the General Assembly of Georgia created councils to “bring communities and schools closer together in a spirit of cooperation to solve difficult education problems, improve academic achievement, provide support for teachers and administrators, and bring parents into the school-based decision-making process.” School Councils shall provide advice, recommendations, and assistance and represent the community of parents and business. The council is accountable to the constituents they serve and shall:
- Maintain a school-wide perspective on issues.
- Participate in council meetings.
- Participate in information and training programs.
- Act as a link between the school council and the community.
- Encourage the participation of parents and others within the school community.
- Work to improve student achievement.
- Provide advice and recommendations to the school principal and local board of education.
Council Membership Criteria
- Members of the School Council will serve for a term of two years.
- The council will have a minimum of seven members; E.T. Booth’s School Council bylaws stipulate that there will be:
- Five parents/guardians.
- One parent/guardian who is also a local businessperson.
- Three certified teachers who are not employed in administrative positions.
- The school principal.
- The PTSA President or one co-president (non-voting role).
- Parents must make up the majority of the council.
- A parent member must serve as the chair.
2021-2022 School Council Meetings
NOTE: Meetings may be held virtually using Microsoft Teams due to restrictions on school visitors; please contact the school for confirmation before coming to the school to attend a meeting in person. Tentatively, all meetings will be held at 4:15 p.m. in the Front Office Conference Room.
School Council Members
- Principal, Mr. Todd Sharrock
- Chair, Parent, Tonya Riddick (2020-2022)
- Vice Chair, Parent/ Business Member, Amy Miller (2020-2022)
- Secretary, Teacher, Annissa Hackney (2020-2022)
- Parent, Kelly Metka (2021-2023)
- Parent, Orlando Quick (2021-2023)
- Parent, Kathy Sanders (2021-2023)
- Parent, Staci Josef (2020-2022)
- Teacher, Amy Garner (2020-2022)
- Teacher, Kristin Johnson (2021-2023)
- PTSA, TBD