Dr. Brian Hightower
As Superintendent of Schools for the Cherokee County School District, Dr. Brian V. Hightower continues to take great pride in leading its 41,000 students and 5000 employees in “Educating the Emerging Generation.” Most recently, Dr. Hightower was appointed by Georgia Governor Brian Kemp to serve on his Superintendents Advisory Council and honored for the sixth straight year to the Atlanta Business Chronicle’s “Who’s Who” in Education.
Having now served 35 years as a teacher and administrator, Dr. Hightower is in his sixth year as Superintendent and is poised to push forward several notable initiatives in SY2021-22:
- Utilize an aggressive, comprehensive choice-driven local plan to open schools for a second year during the pandemic, coordinating protocols in conjunction with the Georgia Department of Health and Georgia Department of Education.
- Initiate the iGrad Virtual Academy for high school students at the ACTIVE Academies Campus, a hybrid program structured with digital and virtual learning opportunities for approximately 125 students.
- Initiate CCSD’s first true districtwide CTAE Pathway, Cybersecurity, at the ACTIVE Academies Campus. This program will kick-off CCSD’s C3 Academy, it’s pilot for a College and Career Academy.
- Replace +9000 legacy student technology machines with mobile Chromebooks.
- Enhance the CCSD learning management system (Canvas) experience for parents and students through coordinated, consistent content landing pages.
- Expand the Superintendent’s Leadership Academies to include a Teacher Leadership Academy.
- Open the new instructional wing at Woodstock MS and Auxiliary Gymnasium at Woodstock HS while continuing the athletic facility upgrades at Etowah HS and stadium/field LED lighting upgrades at all six high schools.
Also, for the 2021-22 school year, Dr. Hightower will continue to serve on the State Superintendent’s Advisory Council and as immediate Past-Chairman for the Georgia Education Coalition, a legislative lobby consortium of large and growing school districts in Georgia. Dr. Hightower will also serve as the Board of Control Chair for the North Georgia RESA districts and continue to serve as a National Research Fellow with the Educational Research and Design Institute and as a charter member of Leading Ed Solutions, a national coalition of Superintendents dedicated to researching and addressing some of the most important issues facing public education today.
Superintendent's Organizational Chart